Friday, November 20, 2009

Dukan Diet Revisited

For those of you who've been wondering - why the lack of posts for the last two weeks - it's because I've been focusing on the Dukan diet.
,
A year ago last August, I started the Dukan diet (thanks Davine, for telling me about the book "Je Ne Sais Pas Maigrir" by Pierre Dukan) The goal was never meant to be drastic weight loss - just some basic maintenance i.e. seven pesky pounds or 3-4 kilos. Unlike the three day juice diets I'd used in the past, the Dukan diet is a long-term eating philosophy with very quick results (within the first week). There are four major phases - the attack phase which is total protein - and nothing more, the cruising stage which adds vegetables (you'll never love a tomato better), the consolidation stage (which allows for two feasting meals per week called 'galas', and the final stabilisation phase which means eating 'normal' 6 days a week and reserving 1 day per week (forever!) to be your total protein day. The other 'forever' addition to my diet is oat bran. Three Tablespoons a day which apparently is not only good for losing weight, but losing cholesterol as well.

The naysayers: After having hit my target weight within one month of starting the diet, and keeping my weight stabilized for five months (even while traveling and during the holiday season), my gyn noted how slim I was and when I mentioned the Dukan diet - she said "don't be surprised if the weight all comes back".

I don't know why she said that (except that rebound is the common occurence for most diets) but isn't there ALWAYS someone who wants to throw a wet blanket on things? Come spring time, my gyn's gloomy forecast came true - a few of the pounds came crawling back - but there was one very good reason for that: smugness.

The Dukan diet isn't meant for wimps by any means - and like any good soldier, you don't let down your defenses when you're coasting. In effect, I let the one pure protein day per week fall by the wayside. Big mistake.

So, if you are midway through the Dukan diet - or if you've finally reached your target weight and feel you can give yourself a pat on the back with a splurge of feasting, think again! The reason I say this now is because any of you who've gotten to the target weight stage know exactly how hard you've worked to get there - and it would be a real 'dommage' to let all that hard work go to waste.

The good part about the Dukan diet is that if you've spent so much time already setting up good eating habits - a rebound is NOT the end of the world - far from it. The key is to get back on track as fast as possible.

So, now, I can happily say after over one year, I am STILL at my target weight - but not without some backpeddling - and a lot of jogging!

I know two of you readers have taken on the Dukan diet stateside and Lori, I love the fact that you called the 'gala' meals - 'cheat meals'. Needless to say, once the Dukan crosses the ocean, there'll be some adjustments for 'American tastes'. Rabbit isn't big in the States but it's a low caloric meat - we have plenty of rabbits to spare in Normandy.

For those vegetarian readers, Dr. Dukan's website offers some suggestions for creating a 'pure protein diet' by using soy-based products such as tofu as well as lentils, and low-fat or 0 % dairy products.

Here are some suggestions for avoiding 'fat traps'.
Beware of night time television viewing. Pick up a video instead. The advertisements are almost ALL based on food products.

Holiday baking projects. It's too tempting to cheat!

Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season!

5 comments:

  1. Alas, I cannot find an English translation of Dr. Dukan's website, although I see it quite prominently in French.
    Is there ANYthing besides tofu, lentils and low-fat or zero-fat dairy products that an almost-vegan could eat on a total-protein day???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi girls,
    I am reading about the diet for more than 3 weeks. I need (NEED) to lose weight more for health reasons than for looks - high blood pressure and family history of heart desease... But I am so concerned if my cholesterol jumps high, because of too much meat. Can I eat more no-fat yogurt instead and even borrow from the food suggested for the vegeterians? I just wonder what Dr Dukan suggests to the vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Dukan has a US site now: www.dukandiet.com
    Without being too monotonous, you could always opt for a one day protein i.e. tofu, or seitan (which is soy-based), any of the soy based vegetarian 'meat' substitutes plus non-fat yoghurts, and then do one day of soy protein plus veggies. But now that the site is available, you can always subscribe and join the daily chats to get the latest 'scoop'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone,
    I am a vegetarian and I have successfully followed the Dukan diet. I lost 22 pounds in 65 days in the midst of attending a wedding and 4 days of travel and visitors during summer.
    I also work out ( strength training 3 days a week0 and water aerobics ( because I had a foot problem. Now the foot problem is almost gone with 22 pounds off my body.
    I didn't have cravings except for an occassional need for something crispy and crunchy.
    In the U.S there are plenty of options for vegetarians:
    Here are some:
    boca burger
    garden burger
    tofu
    egg whites
    greek yogurt ( 0% fat from Trader Joes- best for protein - carb ratio)
    cottage cheese ( 0% fat - also from Trader Joes)
    light cream cheese wedges( MOO cheese) for occasional snack
    I am on consolidation phase and continued to lose another 3 pounds past the suggested target. I was 137 when I started on May 22. I am now 115. I am only 5 ft. 1". ( although not intenionally). I recently had a bout of sore throat and bronchial infection ( I work with pre-schoolers) and found that my body was struggling and I ahd to incorporate some extra carbs like coconut water ( for electrolyte) and fruit juices while fighting off the infection. I couldn't exercise for 10 days either or do the Protein only day during this illness. Since I didn't sign up for consultation I had to do what was sensible for my body. You do become sensitive to the needs of the body. But my weight has been constant at 115. Now I am back on track and plan to extend my consolidation 10 days past the target date to make up for the time lost in illness.
    I find following this program ( I have never done any diets before) is quite enjoyable and easy. My motto is to keep meals simple and have all the essential proteins available at all times.
    Hope this helps.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. I forgot to mention. In S. California you can get protein bread ( 14 gms of protein and 3 carbs ) from Julienne bakery. They also ship it if you order online. I just found out about that. They are available at Jimbos.
    You can also find meatless meatballs at Trader Joes- a bit high in carb- but I use 3 balls every now and then.
    I also make a fabulous chapati ( flat bread - like tortilla) using the following recipe:
    1/8 cup whole wheat flour ( King Arthur whole wheat)
    1/4 cup soy isolate ( available at Sprouts and other places) It has no carbs and no fat.
    1 table spoon of vital wheat gluten.
    Add water, salt ( you can also add dr=y herbs like oregano or cumin)
    make them into balls. I make 3 balls out of this recipe . Roll it out to flatten like a large cthin tortill. and cook it on a griddle, or a cast iron pan on a stove. You can also make them puff up if you place them directly on gas after heating them up for a minute or two ( when small bubbles show up) on a griddle.
    You can eat this with any veggie- My favorite is with cauliflower with tomatoes and onions.
    This bread as far as I am concerned is almost all protein. You can even eat it with low fat allowable cheese. or make a rolled up sandwich. Each chapati ( tortilla is 4 gms of carbs and 13 gms of protein.
    The vital wheat gluten helps it to make the dough soft. You can add a bit more whole wheat flour when you get into the consolidation stage.
    here is a great idea for a vietnamese Bhan mi ( sandwich). Grate spiced tofu ( you can buy them). grate carrots ( add vinegar sweetener and salt/ soy sauce and let it marinate for an hour. Drain the liquid and add the carrots and grated tofu, and chopped cilantro as filling for a sandwich.
    You can also use a tea spoon of parmesan cheese on protein bread to add excellent flavor.
    Hope this helps.
    Cindy.

    ReplyDelete