Saturday, April 13, 2013

US Airways: Silly Policy but Not Discrimination

US Airways should apologize for embarrassing passengers denied access to First Class because of their clothing, but the report of race discrimination on this morning 's Today show is sensationalizing a silly policy.  During one of our frequent flights to France,   we were waiting to board Economy Class when an attractive well-dressed Caucasian woman approached me and asked to borrow my shoes!  I thought it was a joke and was looking for the hidden camera.  But it was no joke.  She then explained to me that she was an off duty airline personnel who was flying First Class on a special pass.  She only discovered that there was a dress code when she arrived at the gate.  Because she was wearing open- toe shoes, they would't allow her in First Class.  Other than her shoes, she was neatly dressed in blouse and dark trousers.

Unfortunately, I only had one pair of shoes because the rest were checked, but before the plane departed, I went up to First Class to make sure she had found a pair of shoes from someone else.  She had and was happy to be flying to Paris First Class.

If you pay full price you can probably wear whatever you please no matter what race or gender you may be, but flying on a Buddy Pass apparently has a dress code.  US Airways should have the courtesy to e mail passengers in advance if there are dress codes.   Passengers already get enough humiliation going through security.   We're all in the same boat.  But,  if US Airways wants to fly me to Paris First Class for free  as long as I wear close-toe shoes, hey that's fine with me.
My shoe size is 9 1/2.  And my toes are SO UGLY, they should be covered up even in Economy Class.


No comments:

Post a Comment