Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Something New in Paris: Customer Satisfaction Counts!

Have you found your happiness? (Votre bonheur).  This is the current expression that customers are likely to encounter when they go shopping in Paris.  And given the state of the economy at this juncture, keeping customers happy is a top priority.

I have to say that there is definitely a small revolution going on here in customer service.  And it's happening not just in boutiques geared toward tourists but in all types of shops including your local  mom&pop grocery stores.

Here are some recent examples:  At the SIMPLY grocery market, close to where we stay,  a sales clerk took the time to change a sales slip for me - to give me credit.  The self-service robot counter had overcharged me for a case of bottled water (because two of the six bottles had been removed). 

The corner bakery that I avoided all last summer because of a sales clerk who consistantly tried to shortchange me has been replaced by a sales clerk who actually undercharged me.  (Of course,  I did politely suggest that she might doublecheck the bill).

As for the womenswear boutiques,  sales clerks are smiling and attentive and they seem to want to do everything possible to help you find your happiness.

Of course, we all know that happiness cannot be found in a shopping mall - even if Emile Zola entitled his novel - Au Bonheur des Dames - but Paris's new attitude is enough to make you smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment